[R]
Relentless
Dictionary meaning:
To be harsh, unmovable or unbending.
Jentionary meaning:
As my readers know, my blog is about taking words I believe are challenging and using my own connotative meaning to describe them. Not only is this a successful way for me to help others, but giving my own personal twist of the word I choose gives the reader a sense of connection that is more relatable than an example a dictionary would give. The name of the blog was simple, I used my nickname and added 'tionary' to the end. Thus, Jentionary was born.
| The conversation Whitney and I had when she asked me what the word relentless meant |
Whitney has her own blog you can visit by clicking here, where she talks about her cat Charlie and how he is relentless when it comes to water.
That is exactly what my aim for with this blog happens to be. I want to be able to relate the meaning in some way to the person that is reading, either directly or indirectly, so they can fully understand and use the word if it happens to apply to a situation that arises.
Now, on to my own story about the word relentless.
In my sophomore year of high school my history teacher Tim Crowe always used the word relentless. Every morning during his class period he would utter, "you kids are relentless" with a smile. After every day of this word being heard by my curious ears, I asked him what it meant.
He simply looked at me and said, "you kids are relentless, that's all."
I had an idea of what it meant due to the context in which it was being used, but I was not really able to apply the use of the word until I looked up what it meant in the dictionary.
From the point that I looked up the meaning pf the word until the remainder of the year I used the word relentless at one point or another.
I used to word to tell my mom I was being relentless by not cleaning my room, doing the dishes, or folding my laundry. I also frequently called my brother relentless when he used to ask questions about anything and everything.
Next time the need arises to call someone you know relentless how will you do it? Is someone you know relentless, or do you know a time when you have been relentless?
No comments:
Post a Comment