Sunday, February 24, 2013

Indignation transforming into intelligence

[I]

Indignation

Dictionary meaning: strong displeasure — especially against something considered unjust, offensive, insulting mean or base.

Jentionary meaning:
It has been in my experience that a lot of people have indignation against one another for no real reason, other than, because they have the ability to be that way. I do not understand why this is happening and find it more common every day. It seems that people have the mentality of,  ‘if you aren’t with me, you’re against me.’

A picture of me getting my tattoo
on my 21st birthday last year
For example, when you bring up a controversial topic like politics or abortion and the person you are talking to happens to have the complete opposite view on the issue than you do. Often times when that conversation starts and you find out that the other person has an opposing opinion you begin to have indignation toward them, or strong displeasure.

It is second nature to instantly turn off our listening skills and attack when this happens. We attack with what we think is truth and go about our day without realizing the meaning behind the conversation as a whole.

What if the opposing forces that have come against us are the ones that are supposed to bring us together? Yes, I know that sounds like the cheesiest thing in the world, but I have a point here.

For example, my parents are complete opposites.

My mother grew up in a quiet household where she was shy and sheltered from the world. My father, however, was raised in a household where being obnoxious is an art and doing what you want is encouraged, even if it isn't the right thing to do.
So with my parents being polar opposites, I strongly believe that is why my personality has been shaped the way it is. I am quiet, but I am also loud. I know when to be serious and when to be funny. I am stubborn but also passive. I possess yin and yang, if you will. Unity of opposites that defines who I am and all that is around me.
My yin yang tattoo that
my dad was thrilled about
while my mom was unsure.
Typical of them both.

On July 14 last year, better known as the day before my 21st birthday, I got a tattoo that signified this yin and yang in my life. I got a yin yang sign tattooed on my arm (the sunflower around it is simply because it is my favorite flower). This tattoo helps to remind me that even though I may have a dislike for others opinions or their beliefs, that it is all about  balance in the end.

Next time you have a strong dislike for something going wrong in your life, take a step back and think of the balance that has to occur in order to keep yourself grounded. With that dislike, think of something you like. With that good news, know that circumstances are not always going to go your way.

Do not have indignation, but intelligence to know the difference between being selfish to your own views and being accepting of others. Learn from the experience instead of acting as if the world and every person in it is out to get you.

1 comment:

  1. I like this I mean, everyone gets a little indignant from time to times, but it's important to remember that it's not an emotion that you want to portray and that differences in opinion and actions are very impotant. Thanks for the awesome post.

    ReplyDelete